My favourite things about postgraduate study

Current postgraduate student, Ffion, lists her five favourite things about studying her master’s at Bristol.

1. The programme

What I like most about my master’s programme (MA Law) is that it’s almost entirely seminar-led which leaves the sessions open to a lot of free discussion. As a group we talk about what we found most interesting or challenging in the reading and our tutors will point us in the right direction. This is not only a great way to learn but also keeps things interesting, as where the session goes is completely up to us.

“Our lecturers are open to our ideas and are very supportive and happy to listen if you have a different perspective on something.”

2. Independence

There’s an independence I’ve experienced at postgraduate study that isn’t matched at undergraduate, even within a taught course. Our lecturers are open to our ideas and are very supportive and happy to listen if you have a different perspective on something.

Overall, I’m enjoying postgraduate study more because I feel more independent from the University. While the staff and lecturers are there when you need them, studying at postgraduate level means you’ve made a choice to invest in your future, so the whole learning experience is really what you make of it.

“…studying at postgraduate level means you’ve made a choice to invest in your future, so the whole learning experience is really what you make of it.”

3. The people

For me, one of my favourite but least expected things that I’ve loved about postgraduate study is the people. I think making friends has been easier and more relaxed outside of the freshers-bubble that is often a source of pressure for people at undergraduate. I’ve really got to know people I’m working with very quickly. Although it may be something that people find daunting when starting postgraduate study – especially if you studied undergraduate elsewhere – it’s actually been a highlight.

I’ve also met people from vastly different backgrounds studying for very different reasons. People choose to study at postgraduate level for a number of reasons; some have already had jobs, others are fresh out of university or might have had a break for a year or two. The range of students and where people are in their lives makes meeting new people more interesting as you learn from each others’ experiences.

“I’ve really got to know people I’m working with very quickly. Although it may be something that people find daunting when starting postgraduate study – especially if you studied undergraduate elsewhere – it’s actually been a highlight.”

4. The city

Bristol is a city that I’ve always been excited by and wanted to move to. It’s a very progressive place with a lot of jobs in entrepreneurship, a growing technical industry, and (lucky for me) a large legal hub. One thing that I love about the city is their recycling scheme, it’s extremely efficient and you can recycle almost anything; what else would you expect from Britain’s greenest city, which also boasts top cycling numbers and smart city status in 2019?!

5. Beyond student life

What I’ve really enjoyed about moving to Bristol is that there’s a lot going on beyond the student hub, so it’s not just club nights and socials like in many university cities. The local community is very busy here. Whether it’s the Science Museum and Planetarium, Bristol’s first zero waste shop in Bedminster, or UPFEST (Europe’s largest street art festival); you’re able to take advantage of the city itself in addition to University events. As I’m hoping to live here after I graduate that’s been really valuable.

To get more insight from current postgraduate students, register for a virtual event and chat to students like Ffion!