What is a Postgraduate Student Ambassador?

One of our postgraduates, Rosie, talks about her role as an Ambassador at the University.

What are you studying at Bristol?

I am currently three years into a PhD in synthetic biology at the University of Bristol. My PhD is a lab-based research project on bacteria that make plastics, and I spend most of my day in the lab or at my desk reading and analysing data. I did my undergraduate degree at the University of Edinburgh and so choosing to move to a new university and a new city was an exciting step.

Why did you apply to be a Postgraduate Student Ambassador?

Last year I applied to be a Postgraduate Student Ambassador so that I could try to help answer the questions that I wish I had asked when I was applying. Being a prospective student to a new university can be a daunting process, and I really wanted to be part of something that makes it easier. Often these roles are filled by master’s students and I think it is important to ensure there is some PhD representation too. The PhD postgraduate experience can be slightly different to a master’s, and the additional few years here has given me extra insight about both the city and the University to share with incoming postgraduate students – I didn’t discover my favourite bakery until last year!

What sort of things do you get up to in the role?

Being a Postgraduate Student Ambassador is a great way of earning some extra money while still being able to complete my lab work. Each job is individually applied for, which means I can work flexibly around my timetable and only apply for work when I know I have the time. The jobs themselves are also quite varied; from an hour-long online chat, to whole-day events like open days, so there is something to suit every schedule. Each day is slightly different – you could find yourself giving tours around campus, answering questions on an information stand, and talking on a Q&A panel session in a single day! These events often include preparing the space before and after events, and so as well as getting to know other students, it also allows you to meet members of staff in both the Postgraduate Recruitment office, and at the location you are working.

What do you enjoy most about the role?

Working with other ambassadors has been a fun way to meet other students, especially those in humanities subjects that I would be unlikely to meet otherwise. The team work together all year round, so you get to see the same faces month after month and make friends. I found the more I expanded my network of people at Bristol the more interesting events, cafes, and places I learnt about. This also gives me more information to pass onto perspective students.

Why would you recommend the role to others?

I would recommend postgraduate students who are friendly and engaging to apply to be a Student Ambassador. If you’re looking for flexible work, can take initiative, and like speaking about your university experience this is the perfect job for you!

Applications to become an Ambassador for this year have now closed. If you have any questions about the role, contact us at postgraduate-recruitment@bristol.ac.uk.